[Air-L] coronavirus, misinformation, mental health and online media - resources

Craig Hamilton Craig.Hamilton at bcu.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 02:33:43 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Many people in my personal networks are concerned about the things they are seeing related to COVID-19 (coronavirus) in their social media feeds, or in parental WhatsApp groups. It occurred to me that a short list of resources for people to read and/or share might be useful at this time.

I wondered if list members could suggest short, easily digestible, public-facing resources that provide useful guidance on the sharing/consumption of misinformation or unverified health advice on social media and other channels (e.g. WhatsApp). In addition, similarly short/digestible resources or other advice around the self-care implications of consuming rolling coverage of the outbreak may well be useful.

I’d be happy to collaborate with others on pulling the eventual list of resources together, should any of you be interested in doing that.

Kind regards, and I hope you are all staying safe.
Craig

Dr Craig Hamilton
Research Fellow
Birmingham Centre for Media and Cultural Research
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Birmingham City University,
5 Cardigan Street,
Birmingham, B4 7BD