[Air-L] Advice for Converting to Online Conference Format during Covid Crisis

Ushnish Sengupta ushnish.sengupta at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:59:07 PDT 2020

Hello AIRers

I recently attended an in person conference and am looking for advice on
how to convert aspects of a face to face conference to an online format.
This list may be able to offer some advice or references.
In terms of software applications, My experience with hosting classes so
far has been with Zoom, and I am familiar with Webex and other applications
but have no experience being a host on them.

Conference components under consideration
1) Panelist Presentations
-This is the easiest component that can be done online
2) Discussant feedback
-Also achievable online
3) Audience Q&A
-Achievable with a moderator
I lose track of the order of the students asking questions in class more
often online than in person classes
4) Poster sessions
-Can be replicated as a repeated slide presentation with content from poster
5) Formal networking sessions
-Difficult to replicate online, any ideas?
6) Table discussion e.g. at a dinner or conference banquet
-Difficult to replicate online, any ideas?
Could use Zoom breakout rooms butits different than having a meal together
7) Award ceremonies
?

Sincerely
Ushnish Sengupta--