[Air-L] Exercises for teaching digital ethnographic methods (remotely)

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Tue Mar 17 00:21:57 PDT 2020

What about asking them to design an ethical research methodology for researching how people are using technology during the pandemic, or something like that? I think they're more likely to be able to focus on coursework if it's directly relevant to the worries and anxieties of their current digital life, and this might even help them feel slightly more in control of their situation. And maybe some of them will keep going and do really interesting research?

Other resources:

Deborah Lupton started a crowdsourced collection of resources for Doing Fieldwork in a Pandemic: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1clGjGABB2h2qbduTgfqribHmog9B6P0NvMgVuiHZCl8/edit?fbclid=IwAR3mwwrXMlKTMkJxjPtQaDaHJcTtLGSC49oupIChpSWI2_bnwOtCLolZ04w

The Selfie Research Network set up an online syllabus with lesson plans that would mostly work online from home. It was developed in 2014 but I think you could still use some of this.
http://www.selfieresearchers.com/the-selfie-course/

Jill