[Air-L] NCapture (or other software for capturing Facebook group posts/comments)

MCNULTY Stephen Stephen.McNulty at ed.ac.uk
Sun Nov 15 10:11:56 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I hope that you are all well and keeping safe in these challenging times!

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using NVivo NCapture to download Facebook group content? There are at least 2 Facebook groups that I am basing my research on and previously I had simply been observing posts and comments and downloading those that seemed to be of relevance, however now I would like to download all posts in a certain time range in order to lend more rigour to my methodology and deepen my analysis.

I had been hoping to use NCapture for NVivo, and got permission from the group admin (who also installed the app into the group to allow me to use it). However, when I click on the extension in Google Chrome, it gives me no option to download the posts/comments as a dataset. I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience using NCapture (particularly since the Cambridge Analytica scandal and Facebook's changes in policy), and could give me some insight? (QSR's help pages are not very useful I find...)

Alternatively, if anyone could suggest another tool for collecting Facebook group data, I would very much appreciate it!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Stephen.

--