[Air-L] 3 opportunities (internships + workshops)

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Thu Nov 19 11:30:33 PST 2020

I am part of teams that just launched three different inter-connected opportunities that I think might be of interest to AOIR folks. Feel free to forward this to the far corners of your research networks.

Opportunity #1: Data & Society Workshop. "Trust and Doubt in Public-Sector Data Infrastructures." I'm organizing this with Janet Haven at Data & Society. It's a classic D&S-styled workshop where folks pre-read and then discuss half-baked papers in small groups to go deep into research in a collaborative and invigorating fashion. This is for researchers of all career levels (and doesn't require them to be in a university). Participants as well as authors are invited to apply!
- Event Date: March 25
- Application Deadline: January 8
https://datasociety.net/announcements/2020/11/17/trust-and-doubt-in-public-sector-data-infrastructures/ <https://datasociety.net/announcements/2020/11/17/trust-and-doubt-in-public-sector-data-infrastructures/>

Opportunity #2: PhD Internship with me at MSR NYC. "(Dis)Trust in Public-Sector Data Infrastructures." This is a paid internship for a current PhD student who wants to work on a project that gets at this theme. The internship can start next summer or this spring. This topic is intended to allow intellectual and research alignment with my current work.
- Application Deadline: December 23
https://socialmediacollective.org/2020/11/18/internship-opportunity-distrust-in-public-sector-data-infrastructures/ <https://socialmediacollective.org/2020/11/18/internship-opportunity-distrust-in-public-sector-data-infrastructures/>

Opportunity #3: PhD Internship with the Social Media Collective. This is the general SMC internship program, mentored by Nancy Baym, Tarleton Gillespie, and Mary Gray (although I am increasingly involved in these conversations again). These are paid project-based internships with a much wider spectrum of possible topics, many of which are of interest to AOIR folks.
- Application Deadline: January 11
https://socialmediacollective.org/smc-internships/ <https://socialmediacollective.org/smc-internships/>

Feel free to reach out with questions and thanks for your help in getting the word out!

danah