[Air-L] Call for papers: A.I. – Panic or Panacea

Johnson, Gareth Gareth.Johnson at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Nov 25 01:45:01 PST 2020

Dear all,

In the most recent issue of the early career research focused journal, Exchanges (V8.1), we put out a new call for papers on the theme of 'A.I. – Panic or Panacea'. Brief details follow, but you can access the full call via the link below.
https://exchanges.warwick.ac.uk/index.php/exchanges/announcement/view/28
---
Call for Papers (themed): A.I. – Panic or Panacea
Exchanges: The Interdisciplinary Research Journal (ISSN 2053-9665)

The issue of intelligence lies at the heart of the scholarly lifeworld, although for much of history a topic focussed around a singular, human construct. Today though, algorithms, deep learning and artificial intelligence have emerged into the everyday world. From the seemingly trivial, to battling the pandemic or even fighting our future wars, applications of algorithmic intelligence are increasingly shaping critical decisions and policy helping meet emerging challenges. Should we be celebrating the transition to a more ‘automated’ workplace, freeing humankind from waged-labour exploitative drudgery or does it represent an existential threat to the livelihood of millions?

Conversely, many assert artificial intelligence, machine learning and algorithms offer humanity a brave new world of opportunity, advancement and potential achievement. Deployed in the service of humanity algorithmic intelligence could help us better plan for future building and habitation needs, predict cataclysmic acts of nature or even more efficiently discover curative treatments. Thus, the artificially intelligent enabled future may be a far brighter one than some currently anticipate.

For the issue of Exchanges due for publication in Autumn 2021, we invite authors to submit original, exciting and insightful manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication consideration inspired by any aspect of this theme. We welcome papers written for a general academic audience exploring or reviewing the science, application and implementation of machine learning, artificial intelligence or algorithms within a broader societal setting. We also welcome submissions from the humanities, arts and social sciences dealing with the ethics, perceptions, interpretations and representations of these issues too.

First-time or early career authors may alternatively wish to consider submitting either a critical reflection or conversational (interview) piece inspired or informed by these themes. Such pieces would serve to provide much needed background to the topic for a general academic audience. Critical reflections and conversations only undergo editorial review ahead of publication and hence are e

---

Dr Gareth (Gaz) J Johnson

Managing Editor-in-Chief, Exchanges Journal

Room C0.10,  Institute of Advanced Study, Zeeman Building, University of Warwick

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/ias/

T: 024 765 7443 (extn 74423) E: gareth.johnson at warwick.ac.uk<mailto:gareth.johnson at warwick.ac.uk>

B: https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/exchangesias/ Tw:@ExchangesIAS<https://twitter.com/ExchangesIAS>

P: https://anchor.fm/exchangesias