[Air-L] Text/Data Mining Software Suggestions: for YouTube, Facebook & Instagram?

Bernhard Rieder berno.rieder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 03:35:14 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I would like to disagree with Brooke here. Facebook data can still be accessed through non-scraping based API-access, most importantly the awesome Facepager.

For Instagram, scraping is indeed the go-to technique (instaloader works very well) and I would like to defend the idea that ToS should not hinder researchers if the social relevance of the topic warrants it. Adhering to corporate policy is not the gold standard for what independent research should strive for, in my view. Proposing topics to people at Facebook may be a strategy for certain topics, but for anything that does not fit within the narrow interests of the platform, this will most likely go nowhere.

For YouTube, you can also check out the YouTube Data Tools that I have been maintaining here: https://tools.digitalmethods.net/netvizz/youtube/

All the best,
Bernhard