[Air-L] Text/Data Mining Software Suggestions: for YouTube, Facebook & Instagram?

Bernhard Rieder berno.rieder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 05:21:40 PST 2020

Dear Stuart,

Thanks for you reply, but I feel that this is a bit disingenuous. I should certainly have expanded on my "if the topic warrants it", but I think that there are many ways to balance our need for further understanding of platforms and platform life with ethical research practices in ways that include scraping. The AoIR ethics guidelines already provide a nuanced guide to how to weigh different concerns - and respect for user privacy is not the only moral value that drives our decision-making. And not everything is a slippery slope that needs to be dealt with in absolute terms.

I would also like to remind you that the legality of scraping is by no means as clear-cut as you present it here, neither in the US nor in Europe. Even public institutions like the Conseil Supérieur de l’Audiovisuel in France are publishing studies based on scraping. (https://www.csa.fr/Informer/Toutes-les-actualites/Actualites/Pourquoi-et-comment-le-CSA-a-realise-une-etude-sur-l-un-des-algorithmes-de-recommandations-de-YouTube) With respect to the GDPR, I would recommend having a look at the recent opinion statement by the European Data Protection Supervisor (https://edps.europa.eu/sites/edp/files/publication/20-01-06_opinion_research_en.pdf) which highlight the "special regime" research affords within that regulation.

While my comment was certainly too quick and underdeveloped, let's not pretend that this is a clear-cut affair; and how we weigh the different considerations that come into play will necessarily involve compromise and balancing of different value concerns. Given the enormous amount of power platforms wield in our societies, and not simply through their capture of data but already by the sheer fact of mass connectivity, I find it dangerous to exclude certain research methods from the outset.

All the best,
Bernhard