[Air-L] Ring-fenced PhD studentships for Black British students

Helen Kennedy h.kennedy at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 02:58:41 PDT 2020

Hello all

There are two ring-fenced PhD studentships for Black British students
available via the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership (
https://wrdtp.ac.uk/) for 2020/21. Please share this message with eligible
applicants.

We welcome applications for these studentships in the Department of
Sociological Studies at the University of Sheffield, especially to study
with members of our Digital Media and Society team, who have expertise
across a range of methodologies and research areas. In particular, our
fantastic colleague Dr Ros Williams (
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/socstudies/people/academic-staff/ros-williams)
welcomes expressions of interest or applications in the areas of race,
mixed-ness, health and digital and social media.

If you know of anybody who might be interested in this opportunity, please
encourage them to get in touch with Ros at r.g.williams at sheffield.ac.uk to
discuss possible research ideas.

Deadline for studentship applications is the end of January 2021. This is a
two-stage process, with acceptance onto our departmental PhD programme
required before studentship applications can be submitted, so please
encourage potential students to get in touch as soon as possible.

Further details on the scheme can be found here:
https://wrdtp.ac.uk/studentships/ring-fenced-pathway-awards/.

Best wishes

Helen

--
Helen Kennedy, Professor of Digital Society, @hmtk, Living With Data
<https://livingwithdata.org/>

*RECENT PUBLICATIONS: *
Public perceptions of good data management: findings from a UK-based survey
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053951720935616>, *Big Data
and Society* (June 2020, w/Todd Hartman, Robin Steedman & Rhia Jones)
*Public Understanding and Perceptions of Data Practices: a review of
existing research
<https://livingwithdata.org/current-research/publications/>* (May 2020, w/
Susan Oman, Mark Taylor, Jo Bates, Robin Steedman)

*Data Visualization in Society
<https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789463722902/data-visualization-in-society>*
(April
2020, ed w/ Martin Engebretesen, Open Access with Amsterdam University
Press)