[Air-L] Online Talk: Cait McKinney on Information Activism: A Queer History of Lesbian Media Technologies hosted by the Centre for Media History at Macquarie University

Margie Borschke margie.borschke at mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 6 23:27:53 PDT 2020

The Centre for Media History<https://www.mq.edu.au/research/research-centres-groups-and-facilities/resilient-societies/centres/centre-for-media-history> at Macquarie University invites you to attend an online talk by Cait McKinney on their recently launched monograph Information Activism: A Queer History of Lesbian Media Technologies<https://www.dukeupress.edu/information-activism> (Duke University Press, 2020).  The talk will be followed by a Q&A and group discussion.

Event:  A Public Talk on Information Activism: A Queer History of Lesbian Media Technologies <https://www.dukeupress.edu/information-activism> (Duke University Press, 2020)

Presenter: Cait McKinney<http://caitmckinney.com>, Author of Information Activism and Assistant Professor in the School of Communication at Simon Fraser University

When:  Sydney time: Thursday October 15, 2020 10AM;
             (Vancouver time: Wednesday October 14, 4PM)

Where:  Via Zoom; RSVP by October 14 (Sydney time) for link to meeting cmh at mq.edu.au<mailto:cmh at mq.edu.au>

About the book: For decades, lesbian feminists across the United States and Canada have created information to build movements and survive in a world that doesn't want them. In Information Activism Cait McKinney traces how these women developed communication networks, databases, and digital archives that formed the foundation for their work. Often learning on the fly and using everything from index cards to computers, these activists brought people and their visions of justice together to organize, store, and provide access to information. Focusing on the transition from paper to digital-based archival techniques from the 1970s to the present, McKinney shows how media technologies animate the collective and unspectacular labor that sustains social movements, including their antiracist and trans-inclusive endeavors. By bringing sexuality studies to bear on media history, McKinney demonstrates how groups with precarious access to control over information create their own innovative and resourceful techniques for generating and sharing knowledge. https://www.dukeupress.edu/information-activism <https://www.dukeupress.edu/information-activism>

About Cait McKinney<http://caitmckinney.com>: My research is interested in how queer and feminist social movements use digital technologies to build alternative information infrastructures. I focus on how these movements struggle to provide vital access to information using new digital tools, within conditions where that access is often precarious. My research illustrates how information activism by queer and feminist social justice initiatives offers novel approaches to issues of accessibility, data-management, and participation in networked media environments. Methodologically, I draw primarily on archival research and interviews to do my work.

This Event hosted by The Centre for Media History at Macquarie University: Please RSVP cmh at mq.edu.au<mailto:cmh at mq.edu.au>  by October 14.

Margie Borschke
Senior Lecturer, Journalism and Media

Author of This is Not a Remix: Piracy, Authenticity and Popular Music <https://www.bloomsbury.com/au/this-is-not-a-remix-9781501318924/>

Department of Media, Communications, Creative Arts, Literature and Language
Room 254, Y3A Building
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 (2) 9850 2159  |  M: + 61 425 226 705
E: margie.borschke at mq.edu.au  |  mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au>

[Macquarie University]<http://mq.edu.au>

CRICOS Provider 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete the message and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie
University and its controlled entities.