[Air-L] open scholarship, proprietary videoconferencing (was: non-Zoom platforms....again)

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Tue Oct 27 07:41:12 PDT 2020

Dear AoIRers,

Three months ago, I inquired on this list about the taking over of
proprietary videoconferencing software in academic environment and
promised a follow up . I want to thank everyone that answered my
queries, on and off list, especially regarding the situation in various
national or university environments.

I have now published a piece in French [in the The Conversation
outlet](https://theconversation.com/debat-peut-on-faire-de-la-science-ouverte-sur-zoom-146491).
For those of you who do not read French, I have put [a makeshift
translation on my personal
website](http://alexandrehocquet.perso.univ-lorraine.fr/zoom.html).

Although the examples provided are from the French context, the recent
events regarding [Zoom attitude towards what has been described as
censorship of an academic
conference](https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/zoom-deleted-events-censorship)
shed light on what my main claim is :

Scholars once designed email and mailing lists for their communication
needs as open protocols. They are now surrendering their
computer-mediated communication tools to proprietary platforms 40 years
later. This "absurdist" situation according to one of the academics
involved in the Zoom censorship turmoil is a direct consequence of this
giving away.

If anyone on the list is aware of an anglophone media outlet that would
be interested in an English version of that piece, I would be happy to
submit it to them, especially in the light of these recent events.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet