[Air-L] Legal challenges for research

Schaefer, M.T. (Mirko) m.t.schaefer at uu.nl
Wed Oct 28 07:26:23 PDT 2020

Dear all,

probably, you have seen the latest reports of Zoom shutting down a panel on Zoom censorship or Facebook's cease and desist letter to the NYU's political ad targeting project. I am interested whether there are more examples of legal challenges for researchers. I am particularly interested in issues revolving around GDPR and social media research, contract law and data collection from services such as LexisNexis or others, and terms of use and platforms.

I am also interested in the role of university DPO's in reviewing research design, and the infrastructure or the modus operandi put in place (or not) by universities to enable researchers to comply with GDPR, and the legal support (or the lack of it) universities provide for their researchers to carry out their tasks.

I'd be very grateful for hints to literature, case examples, your own experience etc.

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
mirko