[Air-L] got ethics? Two ethics panels tomorrow!

Charles M. Ess charles.ess at media.uio.no
Wed Oct 28 07:38:20 PDT 2020

of course you do ...
At least, this is the primary starting point of the approaches to
developing ethics guidelines for internet research since the inception
of AoIR - i.e., that enculturated human beings in general and
practitioners in particular bring to the tables of ethical reflection
and deliberation our extensive experience and capacities for ethical
judgment and decision-making.
Our dialogical processes have further involved applied ethicists,
philosophers of technology, cross-cultural perspectives, any number of
colleagues in the social sciences, humanities, mathematics, computer
science, network engineering - you name it - issuing in, among other
things, three documents on internet research ethics that have often
proven to be centrally useful to both researchers and ethics review
boards around the globe.

Moreover, the AoIR conferences have included attention to ethical
matters beyond internet research ethics: this year, in particular, the
CFP included Power, justice and inequality in digitally mediated lives;
Life, sex, and death vis-a-vis social media; and Political Life online.

As many of you know/recall, this year inaugurates a new collaboration
with the Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society
(JICES) and AoIR.  The aim is to encourage the development of papers and
then articles appropriate to the JICES' foci on social and ethical
issues evoked in "the planning, development, implementation and use of
new media and information technologies."

I'm very pleased to note that the CFP evoked a terrific series of papers
that will be presented tomorrow, October 29, in two panels:

Theoretical and Practical Research Ethics: Three Cases (12.00-13.00 UTC)

Legal and Ethical Perspectives on (Big) Data, Platforms, AI and
Algorithms (15.00-16.00 UTC)

If you browse the titles and abstracts, you'll find a wide diversity of
topics and approaches that will all but certainly overlap with one or
more of the ethical matters of interest, if not compelling urgency, to
you and yours, whether as practitioners and/or human beings and citizens
in the contemporary worlds.

Both panels will be hosted on Zoom: links and additional information can
be found on the AoIR calendar.

On behalf of our panelists and co-organizer aline shakti franzke, we
warmly encourage you to expand and sharpen your ethical chops by
participating in the panels as you can.

Many thanks and hope to see many of you there.

all best,
- charles ess

--
Professor Emeritus
Department of Media and Communication

Fellow, Siebold-Collegiums Institute for Advanced Studies,
Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Germany

Co-chair & Editor, Internet Research Ethics 3.0
<https://aoir.org/reports/ethics3.pdf>

3rd edition of Digital Media Ethics now out:
<http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509533428>

Postboks 1093
Blindern 0317
Oslo, Norway