[Air-L] Hybrid discussion-based courses: how to encourage discussion between in-person & digital participants?

Jeremy Hunsinger jeremy at tmttlt.com
Thu Oct 8 08:31:35 PDT 2020

This is not an easy task, but it can be done, mostly i do it by cutting
back on in class discussion and telling the f2f students that they must
make up that time on the discusson boards and to continue our discussion
there.  That has to be built into the course and grading system, so that
students will be encouraged to do it.  So instead of a 2:30 minute class, i
have a 2 hour class with 30 minutes required online. And I have that 30
minutes defined as two or more significant contribution and a few minor
contributions,  I do also tend to post some questions each week, but I also
don't do that every week.

hope that helps.