[Air-L] WEBCAST TODAY – Do we need a new generation of internet standards? “New IP” and global Internet governance

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Sep 23 07:55:06 PDT 2020

ISOC produced a discussion paper
<https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/doc/2020/discussion-paper-an-analysis-of-the-new-ip-proposal-to-the-itu-t/>
on this earlier in the year, which essentially said "Good luck with that!"

ISOC Live posted: "Today Wednesday September 23 2020 at 11:00 EDT (15:00
UTC) the Internet Governance Project hosts a discussion 'Do we need a new
generation of internet standards? “New IP” and global Internet governance'.
For nearly two years, technologists at Huawei have "

[image: livestream] <http://livestream.com/internetsociety/igpnewip>Today*
Wednesday September 23 2020* at *11:00 EDT* (15:00 UTC) the *Internet
Governance Project <https://www.internetgovernance.org/>* hosts a
discussion '*Do we need a new generation of internet standards? “New IP”
and global Internet governance*'. For nearly two years, technologists at
Huawei have been urging the IETF and the ITU to embark on a research
program that would explore a complete redesign of the Internetworking
protocols of the 1980s. They contend that the current architecture and
protocols may not be keeping up with the dramatic changes in information
and communication technology. Others are pushing back against that
initiative. Is it time for a more sweeping change in the standards defining
data communication? Is such a change even possible, given the inertia
surrounding the world’s convergence on IP? What are we gaining or losing by
continuing to rely on the classic Internet protocols?

*SPEAKERS*
*Richard Li*, Chief Scientist, Vice-President of Network Technologies.
Futurewei Technologies, Inc. USA
*Andrew Sullivan*, CEO and President, Internet Society

*MODERATOR*
*Milton L. Mueller*, Internet Governance Project

*LIVESTREAM http://livestream.com/internetsociety/igpnewip
<http://livestream.com/internetsociety/igpnewip>*

*PARTICIPATE VIA BLUEJEANS
https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/live-event/urzsujjt