[Air-L] First simple request: directory of twitter accounts for organizations?

Sina Furkan Özdemir sina.ozdemir at ntnu.no
Mon Sep 7 06:26:35 PDT 2020

An interesting discussion. I have done something similar for the EU's accounts before. I needed to collect twitter accounts of EU institutions and prominent figures such as commissioners and members of the European Parliament. The EU was professional enough to have all the information on a few very well designed web-pages so it was mostly a simple html scraping (I used R and rvest) to identify entities required for my project and their twitter accounts. Although, I had to validate the list by hand several times to make sure that I was getting what I wanted.

The tricky bit was when there was no link to social media accounts on the web-pages. It turns out Google is pretty good at identifying the right social media accounts if you look up the names of these organizations or people. I did by hand because I am not well versed enough in web-scraping to integrate google searches to my script and there were not many problematic entities, but one can potentially do something like:

1) Create a list of names of organizations and people
2) Look them up on google
3) Scrape the returned page and extract the social media information
4) add the social media account information to your social media scraper.

I think step 2 and 3 can be done by using Selenium but as I said, I don't know that much about web-scraping. There is also the iffy part of scraping/crawling google...

Best,
Sina Özdemir
Ph.D. Candidate
NTNU, Trondheim
M.A Comparative and International Studies
ETH Zurich & University of Zurich, Switzerland
B.A. Political Science and International Relations
Middle East Technical University, Turkey