[Air-L] Large Twitter network graph

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:54:36 PDT 2020

Depending on the structure of the graph, it is also worth considering the
sfdp engine in GraphViz for the visualization portion - while not as good
at teasing out fine structure as other algorithms, it is one of the more
scalable layout and software rendering algorithms for large graphs and
we've used it for some very large Twitter graphs. Back in 2012 we routinely
performed layout and rendering of billion-edge graphs in under 30 minutes
on a single core on an SGI UV2 and GraphViz makes it quite straightforward
to enrich the graphs with external calculated attributes that can be used
to affect the visuals. Today we still make heavy use of its rasterizer for
geographic visualization for rendering high-resolution graphs containing
tens to hundreds of billions of points and it is still one of the more
efficient software rasterizers out there and have continued to use it for
our largest social graph layout needs, while using Gephi for small graphs.

Kalev