[Air-L] CORRECTION: Call for Papers - IFIP workshop on Gender, Diversity and ICT - Linköping, April 15-16, 2021

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Wed Sep 30 04:29:22 PDT 2020

Dear AoIRists,

with apologies - the CFP inadvertently omitted some critical
information: please use this version instead.

==
Work, place, mobility and embodiment: «recovery» or repairment in a
post-Covid world?

The next IFIP Working Group 9.8 workshop on Gender, Diversity and ICT
will take place in Linköping, Sweden, April 15-16, 2021. We focus on
experiences and reflections from feminist techno-science perspectives on
themes of gender, diversity, and inclusion vis-a-vis the societal-scale
shifts to online platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Meetings, etc.) and more
digitalized ways of living and working in general in response to the
Covid-19 pandemic.
The onset of the Covid-19 pandemic jolted whole vocations and sectors of
society into remote/digital modes. While much of our lives in the
contemporary North, as thoroughly interwoven with digital and network
technologies, gives the impression of immateriality - the disease
brought into stark focus how much of everyday life depends on
materialities and the work of bodies. The embodied labor of not only
doctors and nurses, but also of drivers, teachers, social workers,
cleaners, cashiers, researchers and many others remains essential to
both fighting the pandemic and meeting the basic necessities of
sustaining life and societies. The pandemic makes visible the
intersecting positions and hierarchies of embodied work, as well as the
merits and limits of the digital.
Against this background, our broad question is: how should we
conceptualize, design for, and speak about «recovery» from the pandemic?
Who should / will be included in a «recovery» of pre-pandemic practices
of travel and affiliated conceptions of place and mobility as privileges
tied to class, gender, ethnicity, etc? How are we to conceptualize and
thereby shape how we think and feel about possible futures and the role
of digital technologies therein? What happens, for example, if we shift
which is needed is to repair unjust social, cultural, spiritual,
economic, and political structures and systems, and most especially the
climate and ecosystems of the planet we live on?
Repairment can further implicate notions of entanglement and
co-generation. Taking up these and perhaps other theoretical,
conceptual, and/or linguistic resources - can we discern and better
design for our interrelationality, most especially as we are
inextricably interwoven with one another via computational and network
technologies?

SUBMISSION DETAILS / TIMELINE
We invite papers (3000-5000 words) that address the themes and issues
described above or similar to these. (Papers may be crafted with a view
towards helping refine these during the workshop for possible submission
to and presentation in the 2022 IFIP conference in Tokyo). Papers must
be prepared for blinded submission as all papers will undergo a blind
review process. Papers should be formatted in a standard style and
referencing system as defined within a document template that will be
provided. We will explore possibilities of taking at least some of the
Workshop submissions into a journal special issue (the details of this
have yet to be developed.)

DEADLINES
February 1, 2021 - submission of paper
March 1, 2021 - notification of acceptance / rejection

Those interested in submitting a paper to the workshop are welcome to
contact the organizers with preliminary ideas regarding paper topics,
approaches, etc.
Chair: Sisse Finken, IT-University of Copenhagen: <sisf at itu.dk>
Co-Chair: Johanna Sefyrin, Linköping University: <johanna.sefyrin at liu.se>

Additional information and resources will be available soon:
<http://ifiptc9.org/9-8/>

Papers should be submitted to: Charles Ess - c.m.ess at media.uio.no with
"IFIP WG 9.8 workshop" in the subject line.

Related readings:

Haraway, D (2016) Staying with the Trouble: Making Kin in the
Chthulucene. Duke University Press.

Houston, L. et al (2016) Values in Repair. CHI'16, May 07 - 12, 2016,
San Jose, CA, USA. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2858036.2858470

Wendt, A. (2015) Quantum Mind and Social Science: Unifying Physical and
Social Ontology. Cambridge University Press.

Puig de la Bellacasa, M. (2017): Matter of Care: Speculative Ethics in
More Than Human Worlds. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

D'Ignazio, C. & Klein, L. (2020): Data Feminism. MIT Press

Branicki, L. J. (2020): COVID-19, ethics of care and feminist crisis
management. Gender, Work & Organization:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/gwao.12491

Buser, M. & Boyer, K. (2020): Care goes underground: thinking through
relations of care in the maintenance and repair of urban water
infrastructures. Cultural Geographies:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1474474020942796

Lupton, D. (2020): "Not the Real Me": Social Imaginaries of Personal
Data Profiling. Cultural Sociology:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1749975520939779

Vallès-Peris, N. & Domènech, M. (2019) Roboticists' Imaginaries of
Robots for Care: The Radical Imaginary as a Tool for an Ethical
Discussion. Engineering Studies:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19378629.2020.1821695
==

On behalf of the conference organizers, many thanks and all best,
- charles ess

Secretary, IFIP WG 9.8
<http://ifiptc9.org/wg9-8-gender-diversity-and-ict/>
--
Professor Emeritus
Department of Media and Communication

Fellow, Siebold-Collegiums Institute for Advanced Studies,
Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Germany

Co-chair & Editor, Internet Research Ethics 3.0
<https://aoir.org/reports/ethics3.pdf>

3rd edition of Digital Media Ethics now out:
<http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509533428>

Postboks 1093
Blindern 0317
Oslo, Norway