[Air-L] A Question About Twitter Suspensions

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 09:05:45 PDT 2021

When I try to display Tweets from December 2017 with clear QAnon signals
(hashtags, buzzwords, other markers) many return the message "cannot
display tweet - account is suspended," which makes sense given what we are
living through. However, I then go search for some of those same suspended
Twitter handles and find while some are indeed suspended, others are not
suspended. Some usernames with hundreds of thousands of tweets that go back
to 2011, and were spreading #QAnon, #TheStormIsHere, #WhoIsQ, and
#FollowTheWhiteRabbit and related content between December 8-12, 2017, are
alive and well on Twitter. I have not seen this before and I cannot explain
it. My question is: Can a Twitter account show as suspended for certain
content on the same day it is live with older and more recent content? Have
others encountered this? Can an account suspension be revoked or else
applied to only certain content? One example of many I ran into today: I
have a record of a Q-centric Tweet from a suspended account but the account
itself is in fact live and following current other live Q-related accounts
that also are not suspended. It follows only 72 accounts (a dazzling
collection of Q-related conspiracy experts) but has almost 5,000 heavily
MAGA-leaning followers, which takes a certain Internet dexterity to
achieve. Is there a good paper out there on the legal and procedural
actions related to suspended, semi-suspended, or suspended but then
restored Twitter users?

Dr. Stuart ShulmanU.S. Soccer Federation C-Licensed Coach