[Air-L] Webinar tomorrow - Data Art, by ART/DATA/HEALTH

Aristea Fotopoulou A.Fotopoulou at brighton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 8 02:45:31 PDT 2021

Apologies for crossposting *

Fri, 9 April 2021

10:00 – 11:00 BST

Join us tomorrow for a talk by Dr Younghui Kim<https://absurdee.com/>, Queensland University Of Technology. “Data Art: Exploring Data As Artistic Material And Medium". Hosted by Dr Aristea Fotopoulou, part of the the seminar Series - ART/DATA/HEALTH: Communicating public health data creatively during the pandemic.

Abstract

“Data can be viewed differently depending on how we collect, frame, and interpret. Especially, data can reveal stories with social issues embedded in them when seen through artistic exploration.”

Many of us are living in data-saturated societies where our everyday actions, opinions, and environmental status are being digitally traced. These data certainly open up new opportunities to develop new products or inform the decision-making of new policies. In parallel, data provide a rich context for contemporary artists to explore personally, socially, and politically. Among the critical concerns of data such as under-representation, data bias, privacy issues, unequal access, and data transparency, I artistically explored under-represented data – left-out data as outliers – by acknowledging layers of data bias through my art practice.

In this talk, I will present the findings from my research on data art by seeing data as an artistic material and medium. Then, I will discuss the layers of bias and how I embrace the idea of subjectivity, bias, and the need for diverse representations of data, especially through my creative practice of the artistic exploration of data.

Speaker bio:

Younghui <https://absurdee.com/> is a media artist, co-founder of RedOnion, and associate professor at Hongik Univeristy. For over one and half decade, Younghui has been exploring the field of new media art, such as wearable technology art, interactive art and data art, where she has combined computational algorithm, physical computing technology and art and design. Her data art installations have been exhibited at QUT (Seeking for Outleirs: Artistic Exploraiton of Data through Creative Practice, The Block, Australia 2020), Design Korea Festival (Design beyond Data 2020), Cornell University (mood.cloud-data as art 2014), Gallery ThisWeekendRoom (Weight of Data 2016), the Society of Art and Technologies in Montreal as a part of CHI2018 Art Exhibition (Weight of Data 2018), and Platform-L Contemporary Art Center (The Sense of Data 2018).

*BOOK HERE

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/data-art-exploring-data-as-artistic-material-and-medium-dr-younghui-kim-tickets-145208134439

----------------------------

The seminar series 'Communicating public health data creatively during

the pandemic' is organised by ART/DATA/HEALTH project (University of  Brighton, funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council). Find out more here:  https://www.artdatahealth.org<https://www.artdatahealth.org/>

Join us in an exciting online seminar series with international speakers exploring how health data have been communicated during the COVID-19 pandemic, focusing on creative and artistic representations of data. The series includes perspectives and approaches to data from bioart, community art, participatory dance, media art, film, animation and more traditional forms of data viz.

For full programme, abstracts and bookings: https://tinyurl.com/ybcrbzu8

Best wishes

Aristea

Dr Aristea Fotopoulou

UKRI-AHRC Innovation Fellow

PI ART/DATA/HEALTH project https://www.artdatahealth.org<https://www.artdatahealth.org/>

PI Impact of COVID-19 on arts and health charities (UKRI QR-SPF)

University of Brighton, UK

A.Fotopoulou at brighton.ac.uk @aristeaf | https://research.brighton.ac.uk/en/persons/aristea-fotopoulou