[Air-L] References for AI Literature

Lee, Sunny sunklee at ou.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:26:12 PDT 2021

Hi Ming-Yi,

I'm not exactly sure what your project may entail, but as far as I could tell from my own research on human interactions with intelligent virtual agents like Siri, and reviewing literature in the area, Reeves and Nass' media equation theory and computers-are-social-actors (CASA) paradigm seemed like a dominant perspective many scholars have adopted so far. Not that theirs is the only viable approach, but many research findings show humans apply similar rules and expectations of human-to-human communication to human-to-machine (computer, robot, AI-agents) communication.

I could also tell some folks like Guzman, Lewis, & Leopoldina proposed an umbrella term human-machine communication, as an alternative to HCI or HRI, and examine "unique" aspects of human-machine interactions, including our perceptions and impact of AIs that may be different from those toward human interactions.

I also do research in organizational communication area but haven't seen much research about AI yet other than Pual Leonardi's on simulation technologies. These names I drop here are pretty well known, so you will be able to easily google their research.

Just in case you might be interested in what I found from my research, I'm sharing the link here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1071581921000264
[https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1071581921X00031-cov150h.gif]<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1071581921000264>
Social interactions and relationships with an intelligent virtual agent<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1071581921000264>
The current study explores how humans interact with an intelligent virtual agent (IVA), Siri, on their mobile phones and how such experiences may impa…
www.sciencedirect.com

Hope this helps, and best luck!

Sunny

Sun Kyong (Sunny) Lee, Ph.D.