[Air-L] A Question About Twitter Suspensions

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Tue Apr 20 12:15:53 PDT 2021

Hi Sarah,

Does it? I deleted @stuartwshulman then tried to get it back a year later.
I could not. I just searched for it on Twitter just now and saw remnants of
old Tweets where that handle was tagged but the link is gone. Is there a
Twitter court? Do people appeal and get restored? I have no idea, but the
mystery remains. Are the policies documented in public?

~Stu

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 9:56 AM Sarah Ann Oates <soates at umd.edu> wrote:

> Is it just me or does it seems a fundamental problem that a user name that
> is banned can be available again? It sounds like a video game in which you
> can respawn with multiple lives, which I would think is a bad thing if
> you're trying to moderate speech. I know there are all sorts of problems
> with social media platform moderation, but this one seems particularly
> naive. Sarah
>

> Sarah Oates
> Pronoun: she/her
>
> Professor and Senior Scholar
> Philip Merrill College of Journalism
> iSchool Affiliate Professor
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20457
> Email: soates at umd.edu
> Phone: 301 455 2332
> www.media-politics.com
> Twitter: @media_politics
>
> *Support the UMD Student Crisis Fund
> <https://giving.umd.edu/giving/showPage.php?name=crisis-funding> today. *
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 7:42 AM Stuart Shulman <stuart.shulman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Marco,
> >
> > Thank you for the excellent and thought provoking paper. I have been
> > digging into the data and the story is somewhat complex. There are
> accounts
> > from December 2017 that have the "from_user" showing as suspended, while
> > the same user on the same week generated Tweets that remain live on
> Twitter
> > today. I have also found live RTs where the "from_user" account is
> reported
> > as "does not exist" and there are other permutations that seem to defy
> the
> > logic of account suspensions and account deletions.
> >
> > I hand labeled 1,500 Q-likely Tweets from the December 2017 set as
> follows:
> >
> > Code, Count, Pct.
> > Suspended Account, 711, 47.40%
> > Deleted Tweet, 509, 33.93%
> > Q Signals, 165, 11.00%
> > No Sign of Q 115 7.67%
> >
> > I have documented this research in the first 7 of the 33 videos here,
> but I
> > feel there are still many unanswered questions:
> > https://vimeo.com/showcase/7543134
> >
> > ~Stu
> >
> > Dr. Stuart ShulmanU.S. Soccer Federation C-Licensed Coach
> > (#boycott #thebigsix)
> >

> > On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 10:29 AM Marco T Bastos <toledobastos at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Stu,
> > >
> > > Are you checking the usernames or the user IDs?if you’re checking the
> > > usernames, chances are the live accounts were recreated after being
> > removed
> > > (new user ID, same username). When Twitter removes an account the
> > username
> > > is offered again in the pool of available handles, so banned users can
> > > create a new account and take over their previous username. Suspension
> > is a
> [...]

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter
Editor Emeritus, *Journal of Information Technology & Politics*