[Air-L] a new wrinkle in internet research ethics

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Apr 27 11:41:24 PDT 2021

More items:

(1) Researchers apologize to the Linux community, but the response is mixed....
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8KejpUVLxmqp026JY7x5GzHU2YJLPU8SzTZUNXU2OXC70ZQQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8KejpUVLxmqp026JY7x5GzHU2YJLPU8SzTZUNXU2OXC70ZQQ@mail.gmail.com/T/#u>

Then this morning ...

(2)  ZDNet has obtained a copy of the Linux Foundation's letter to the University of Minnesota laying out what happened with the bad Linux kernel patches 'research project' and demanding 'all information necessary to identify all proposals of known-vulnerable code from any U of MN experiment'.

< - >

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-linux-foundations-demands-to-the-university-of-minnesota-for-its-bad-linux-patches/ <https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-linux-foundations-demands-to-the-university-of-minnesota-for-its-bad-linux-patches/>

I daresay this seems like a horrific matter all around with policy/process/advising loopholes/shortcomings/failures that need to be remedied ..... but as I said the other day, it was only a matter of time before something like this cropped up in the cybersecurity resarch space in a prominent way -- and that this situation presents an interesting conceptual & practical distinction between IRB approval for testing on "human subjects" vs on things that humans use which might "potentially cause human-harm" (ie malware research, social engineering projects, or doing what these ppl did.)  Many aspects of cybersecurity research, especially deeply technical projects and/or investigation into the 'darker arts' of the discipline can straddle that fine line from time to time, and IRBs need to be aware of the potential consequences.

-- rick