[Air-L] Call for submissions: Emerging Perspectives in the Study of Folklore and Performance

Anthony Bak Buccitelli abb20 at psu.edu
Sun Aug 1 14:35:39 PDT 2021

Dear AOIR Moderators,

I wanted to pass along a CFP that may be of interest to the AOIR list
readers. Please let me know if I can answer any questions, or what steps I
should take to post this to the AOIR list.

Thanks very much,

Anthony Bak Buccitelli

*Call for submissions: Emerging Perspectives in the Study of Folklore and
Performance*

How are folklore studies and performance studies currently connected? What
are the divergences and convergences between the study of folklore through
performance and the study of performance through folklore? There has been
an intimacy between these two fields and phenomena since the mid-20th
century. Whether it be through the work of Richard Bauman, Erving Goffman,
Roger Abrahams, Charles Briggs, Richard Schechner, Dell Hymes, José Esteban
Muñoz, Peggy Phelan, Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Deborah Kapchan, or
Diana Taylor, the relationship between folklore and performance represents
a long history of engagement that is both explicit and implicit in
expressing interconnected methods, perspectives, and theoretical
orientations.  This volume, *Emerging Perspectives in the Study of Folklore
and Performance*, seeks to forefront the ways that folklore and performance
inform each other and are actively situated in our world today.

We are calling for submissions that explore existing and emerging
discourses between folklore studies and performance studies. These
necessarily include development in areas of research and theory in both
fields. Topics may include but are not limited to the intersection of
folklore and performance in digital lives, race and technology, social
movements, ritual, narrative, quotidian expressive culture, archival
practices, ambient play, post-human intersectionalities, speculative
world-making, encoded constructions of self and culture, and embodied
knowledge. We are also interested in approaches that include an analysis of
concepts like practice/praxis, repetition, event, mediation, mobility,
materiality, enactment, ephemerality, tradition, and insurgent
temporalities.

We envision this volume being placed at a university press that speaks to
audiences in both folklore and performance studies.  Please send a 250-word
abstract to Solimar Otero solioter at iu.edu and Anthony Bak Buccitelli
abb20 at psu.edu by September 1, 2021.

--
Associate Professor of American Studies and Communications
Director, Pennsylvania Center for Folklore