[Air-L] Invitation to Submit Abstract for Special Issue: Micropolitics of Online Oppositional Subcultures

Melody Devries melody.devries at ryerson.ca
Fri Aug 6 13:35:45 PDT 2021

Dear internet researchers,

Myself and colleagues Tommaso Venturini, Marc Tuters, Tom Willaert, and
Daniel de Zeeuw are putting together a special issue on "Micropolitics of
Online Oppositional Subcultures", to be submitted to a highly-ranked
journal in the field. Our goal is to bring together qualitative and
quantitative papers that develop new or innovative theoretical and
methodological approaches to studying the creative, world-building
practices of oppositional online communities, including far-right,
conspiratorial, or otherwise anti-mainstream movements.

If interested, please send me (melody.devries at ryerson.ca) an abstract (max
300 words) to be reviewed by our team of editors for consideration within
the special issue proposal. We request to receive abstracts by Aug 27. Feel
free as well to let me know if you have any questions.

Very best,

Melody Devries + Tommaso Venturini, Marc Tuters, Tom Willaert, and Daniel
de Zeeuw

*Melody Devries* | MA, Hons BA
*PhD Candidate* | Department of Communication & Culture
*New Edited Volume: *
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781786614926/Rise-of-the-Far-Right-Technologies-of-Recruitment-and-Mobilization
*Recipient* | Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS)
Doctoral Scholarship
*Twitter *| @melodev
*X [Ryerson] University *
(Activists and activist scholars are calling for the immediate change of
the University's name, given E. Ryerson's role in developing the Canadian
residential school system, a key mechanism of cultural genocide against
Indigenous peoples. Together we call for meaningful action from the
university and reparations from the Canadian government)