[Air-L] TT position in Strategic Communication, NC State University

Fernanda Duarte prof.fredu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 08:15:33 PDT 2021

*** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING ****

*Assistant Professor in Public Relations/Strategic Communication*

*Department of Communication, NC State University*

*August 10, 2021*

The Department of Communication seeks applicants for a tenure-track
Assistant Professor position in public relations or strategic
communication, beginning August 15, 2022. The successful candidate will
teach public relations courses in our undergraduate and graduate programs,
conduct and publish research, participate on graduate committees, and
provide other standard service. Teaching opportunities in the professor’s
research specialty may also be available. The typical teaching load for
tenure-track faculty is 2-2.  Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to
NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education.
We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated
experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an
inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or
incorporating diverse perspectives in research.

Preference will be given to candidates with a Ph.D. in Communication,
Journalism, Media, or a related field, and to those who will receive the
degree by August 2022. Desirable are teaching experience, expertise in new
technologies, and professional public relations experience or a background
in communication campaigns. While open to candidates representing the broad
spectrum of public relations research, the committee will give special
consideration to candidates pursuing research *in either of two areas:*

(1) digital communication or social media analytics from a social science
perspective;

and/or

(2) a qualitative or quantitative research focus on strategic communication
and public relations related to race, culture, diversity, or international
issues.

The Department of Communication at NC State is an accomplished community of
students, staff members, teachers and researchers with diverse intellectual
interests in the communication arts and sciences. Through our teaching,
research and service, we cultivate responsible, caring and collaborative
communication practices for our students, our community partners and the
global citizenry. We do this because communication is central to addressing
the significant challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century and we are
committed to enabling people, organizations and communities to thrive. We
strive to promote inclusive and ethical dialogue to ensure that our
communication processes and practices meaningfully contribute to creating
the conditions for a society in which everyone feels they belong and can
flourish. We stand with the University community in its call to champion a
culture of diversity, equity and inclusion and aspire to creating a more
diverse workforce and student population in Communication.

We serve approximately 700 undergraduate majors and 100 graduate students.
Public Relations is one of three concentrations in the undergraduate
program, and we have an active PRSSA chapter. Faculty also teach in the
department’s Master of Science in Communication program and in its
interdisciplinary doctoral program in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital
Media. The department partners with NC State’s Poole College of Management
to offer an online graduate certificate in Professional Communication and
Managerial Skills and collaborates with multiple initiatives across the
university.

NC State is a research-extensive, land-grant institution, with U.S. and
international students and faculty. The university’s research park,
Centennial Campus, hosts more than 75 companies and organizations engaged
in university research partnerships and where 170+ start-ups have launched.
Located in North Carolina’s capital city, NC State anchors one corner of
the Research Triangle Park, which houses more than 300 global companies or
agencies dedicated to research and development. NC State’s location
provides a plethora of opportunities for research collaboration, student
internships, and jobs for graduates. The Research Triangle attracts diverse
professionals from across the world and features a variety of ethnic and
cultural festivals, museums, international eateries, and a rich offering of
outdoor activities in a temperate climate.

The position number is PG191132EP. To apply, go to
https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/148160. Review of applications will begin
September 15 and will continue until the position is filled. For more
information, contact search committee chair, Dr. Melissa Johnson,
Melissa_Johnson at ncsu.edu.

NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex,
gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an
individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have
general questions about the application process, you may contact Human
Resources at (919) 515-2135 or workatncstate at ncsu.edu. Individuals with
disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application
and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.

--
*Fernanda Duarte*
she/her/ela