[Air-L] Online lecture series: The VIRAL seminar

Nicholas John n.john at huji.ac.il
Wed Dec 15 07:08:04 PST 2021

Hello!
Tomorrow (16 December 2021) I'll be talking in the third meeting of the
really interesting VIRAL seminar lecture series. Details about the entire
series here: https://hivi.uni.lu/2021/09/15/the-viral-seminar/
My talk is titled The Evolution of Unfriending, and will take place at
UTC+1 (that's 5pm in Central Europe, or 11am EST).
For the link, email Valérie Schafer at valerie.schafer at uni.lu

The evolution of unfriending, Nicholas John (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Discussant : Niels Brügger (Univ. of Aarhus)

*Social media are all about connectivity. At the same time, every feature
for connectivity has its inverse: we can friend and follow people, but we
can also unfriend and unfollow them. In this talk, I present the many
features for online interpersonal disconnectivity, and show how have they
developed over time. This approach shines a spotlight on a neglected aspect
of social media, and opens up new ways of thinking about how the platforms
conceive of – and construct – online sociability.*

Nicholas John
Department of Communication,
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972-54-7906073