[Air-L] Metrics at Work book event this Friday | LSE Digital Ethnography Collective//Rutgers Digital Ethnography Working Group

Glatt,ZA (pgr) Z.A.Glatt at lse.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 04:54:02 PST 2021

Hello AoIRists!

I wanted to let you know about a book event that is happening on zoom this Friday. The LSE Digital Ethnography Collective (LDEC) and Rutgers Digital Ethnography Working Group (DEWG) are excited to invite you to our co-hosted zoom conversation with Stanford ethnographer Angèle Christin on Friday 12th February (1-3pm EST/6-8pm GMT). We will be discussing her new book ‘Metrics at Work: Journalism and the Contested Meaning of Algorithms’ (Princeton University Press, 2020).

Professor Christin will be interviewed by Jeffrey Lane (DEWG Co-Chair) and Zoë Glatt (LDEC Co-Founder) and the event will be chaired by Melissa Aronczyk (DEWG Co-Chair). They will discuss the book’s findings and how Christin adapted her fieldwork to study algorithms inside the newsroom, in addition to the new methods Christin has developed to study algorithmic labour ethnographically during social distancing. This will be followed by a Q&A with all event attendees.

You can read more about the event and book a (free) ticket HERE: https://tan-kangaroo-307.eventbritestudio.com/136439168225

On a separate note, at the end of this month I will be leaving my post as AoIR Graduate Student Representative to go on maternity leave. I just wanted to take this opportunity to express what a pleasure it has been to serve on the Executive Committee for such an amazing association, and I look forward to seeing lots of you next year in Dublin (finally!!).

All the best,

Zoe
Zoë Glatt
www.zoeglatt.com<http://www.zoeglatt.com/>
ESRC PhD Researcher in Media & Communications
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
Co-Founder: LSE Digital Ethnography Collective @DigEthnogLSE<https://twitter.com/DigEthnogLSE>
Graduate Student Rep 2019-2021: Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
Managing Editor 2018-2020: ICA journal Communication, Culture & Critique<https://academic.oup.com/ccc/pages/About>
YouTube channel<https://www.youtube.com/user/Zedstergal> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ZoeGlatt> | LSE bio<http://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/people/phd-researchers/zoe-glatt>