[Air-L] CFP 4S Open Panel: Celebrating and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in Technoscience Communities

Isha Bhallamudi isha.b at uci.edu
Thu Feb 11 23:32:25 PST 2021

Dear AoIR colleagues,

Hope you're doing well! This is to invite abstract aubmissions for our open
panel: 'Celebrating and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in
Technoscience Communities
<https://www.4sonline.org/31-celebrating-and-critiquing-feminist-inclusion-strategies-in-technoscience-communities/>',
to be held at the annual 4S meeting this year, between October 6-9.
Abstracts of up to 250 words can be submitted at this portal
<https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/ssss/ssss21/>, and the deadline is
March 8. Please consider submitting an abstract, and do spread the word
among colleagues and students. We look forward to reading your submissions!

The call for papers is as follows:

*Celebrating and Critiquing Feminist Inclusion Strategies in Technoscience
Communities  *

Em O'Sullivan, University College London; Isha Bhallamudi, University of
California, Irvine; Patricia Pena, University of Chile, Institute of Image
and Communication

Science and technology communities come in many forms, from the elite
community of research scientists within the academy to the myriad
grassroots communities that spring up to take direct action on technology
policy issues. Yet despite this wide variation in technoscience
communities, many continue to reproduce gendered patterns of exclusion
visible in science and technology more broadly.

This panel provides space for critiquing community practices and structures
of exclusion that contribute to limiting who can participate in the
production of technoscientific knowledge, who can contribute to
decision-making around policy and innovation priorities, and who gets to
design the technological products and infrastructure that shape our lives.
But, in line with this year’s theme of “good relations”, it also aims to
celebrate successful inclusion strategies, to identify replicable practices
for enhancing community diversity, and to highlight radical experiments in
relationship-building and community development. We believe that this year,
of all years, this celebration of progress is particularly important.

We welcome contributions–from any geographical location in the Global South
or North–that explore feminist community inclusion strategies from a wide
range of theoretical approaches. These could include (but are not limited
to): communities of practice; space and place-making; social field theory;
identity theory; affect theory; participatory design and co-design
practices; and critical making. We also welcome practice-oriented
presentations that are not necessarily based in theory. We particularly
welcome intersectional contributions that look at issues of gender
inclusion/exclusion alongside axes of “race”, ethnicity, class,
(dis)ability, transgender status, sexual identity, etc.

Contact: em.osullivan.15 at ucl.ac.uk

Warmly,
Isha