[Air-L] Brexit Data Misuse Legal Outcomes

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:59:06 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

A little news, if I may ...Arron Banks the funder of the far right
LeaveEU/brexit campaign headed by Nigel Farage just lost his court appeal
for the £105,000 fines for misuse of data and illegal marketing which
resulted from evidence submissions and testimony I submitted to the UK's
data regulator the ICO in 2018. these were evidence submissions that
resulted in death threats for me. I share here the new Guardian story and
links to my evidence from that period
https://twitter.com/EmmaLBriant/status/1360914902190338050?s=20

Related to this you might find of interest my academic book chapter on
LeaveEU in a highly recommended collection on propaganda: Emma L Briant
(2019) ‘LeaveEU: Dark Money, Dark Ads and Data Crimes
<https://www.academia.edu/41363178/DRAFT_for_AcademiaEDU_Baines_et_al_Final_MS_Chapter_31_AQ>’
in Paul Baines; Nancy Snow & Nicholas O’Shaughnessy (Eds) SAGE Handbook of
Propaganda, Sage: London

Many thanks,
Emma

Dr Emma L Briant
Bard College

--
Dr Emma L Briant
Independent Researcher/Author/Analyst

Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant