[Air-L] Data Ethics Decision Aid

Schaefer, M.T. (Mirko) m.t.schaefer at uu.nl
Mon Feb 15 06:25:28 PST 2021

Dear colleagues,
in the past we presented our impact assessment, the Data Ethics Decision Aid (DEDA) at AoIR conferences, and it is also referenced in the AoIR research ethics guidelines 3.0. We are proud that it is in use at several (local) government organisation in the Netherlands.

Finally, we managed to publish the paper Data Ethics Decision Aid (DEDA): A dialogical framework for ethical inquiry of AI and data projects in the Netherlands in Ethics & Information Technology<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10676-020-09577-5> (open access). It describes how our empirical research into data practices at Dutch municipalities led to developing this process of dialogical case-deliberation. While many other data & AI ethics guidelines provide a normative framework, DEDA facilitates a process that makes values explicit and stimulates value-sensitive design. Documenting this process supports accountability and transparency.

For us at Utrecht Data School, DEDA is also a means for participatory observation which gives us intimate insight into organisations, their data projects and how they respond to ethical challenges. A paper about this method of mapping data ethical awareness is in print.

If you want to have a look at DEDA, please visit: https://dataschool.nl/en/deda/

Best wishes,
mirko
Utrecht Data School | Data Ethics Decision Aid (DEDA)<https://dataschool.nl/en/deda/>
DEDA helps data analysts, project managers and policy makers to recognize ethical issues in data projects, data management and data policies. Developed in close cooperation with data analysts from the City of Utrecht, DEDA is a tool-kit facilitating initial brainstorming sessions to map ethical issues in data projects, documenting the deliberation process and furthering accountability...
dataschool.nl