[Air-L] Meme Studies Research Network

GALIP Idil I.Galip at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jan 10 08:34:18 PST 2021

Dear all,

My name is İdil and I am a final year PhD candidate in sociology at the University of Edinburgh, I study internet memes, digital labour and digital culture and am currently in the process of writing up my thesis which is titled Art Worlds Online: Memes, Labour and Politics.

In November 2020 I circulated a call on Twitter for co-editors and collaborators for a "Meme Studies" reading list that I had put together. The positive response received from other researchers who study memes motivated me to set up the Meme Studies Research Network. So now I've built a website, twitter page, a mailing list and a discord server for the network. We have been active on both Twitter and discord for the past two months and are now ready to circulate the first issue of our Meme Bulletin which will be sent out via our mailing list on January 15th, 2021.

Our main goal with the network is to bring together researchers, artists, creatives who study memes and foster discussion and collaboration. The network's monthly Meme Bulletin is curated by members and explore different themes, methodologies, and theoretical standpoints all relating to the study of memes. The aim with the bulletin is to make our growing index of meme studies resources more accessible, and to put these resources into context.

I wanted to send this email and reach out to other scholars who are also interested in memes and might want to become a part of our network.

If you would like to know more about this project, please visit http://memestudiesrn.wordpress.com which is our website or http://twitter.com/MemeStudiesRN which is our Twitter page.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or queries 🙂

You can reach me at igalip at ed.ac.uk or i.galip at sms.ed.ac.uk.

Best wishes,
Idil

Idil Galip