[Air-L] Event "Miniseries" on Fandom+Piracy

Abigail De Kosnik abigail.dekosnik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:45:27 PST 2021

Hi all! I'm hosting a four-event "miniseries" on Fandom + Piracy this
spring. It will be all free and on Zoom (just pre-register to attend). Save
the dates: Thursdays 2/25, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18 @ 5 pm Pacific!!!

https://www.fandomandpiracy.online/

Our list of phenomenal speakers include: Rebecca Wanzo, Kavita Philip,
Brewster Kahle, andré carrington, Racquel Gates, Alfred Martin, Rukmini
Pande, Alexander Dent, Keller Easterling, Jen Holt, Elleza Kelley!!!!!

Fandom and piracy are two modes of countercultural computing, alternative
media, distributed creativity, and copying culture. Their critics often
characterize them as illegitimate, or even criminal.

In this conference mini-series, consisting of two lectures and two panels
taking place online on four consecutive Thursdays, we will hear from
scholars whose work enables us to understand how fandom and piracy have
played a part in the evolution of the internet, how they have attracted
millions of participants and become akin to social movements, how they have
given rise to digital platforms that both augment and defy the
corporatization of media production and the web, and how race/ethnicity,
gender, and sexuality operate within fan and pirate communities.