[Air-L] Looking for recent articles and books on streaming audio

John Sullivan johnsullivan at muhlenberg.edu
Thu Jan 14 07:48:27 PST 2021

This is a terrific list, thanks for sending it along, Tiziano! Andrew: If
you would like to see a quite exhaustive (and near-well comprehensive) list
of published scholarship on podcasting in particular, I would encourage you
to check out this Google Doc managed by podcasting scholar Nele Heise in
Germany:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PCqveZwFSexeMshI1rxBW6VbpCrC_VyJddyTwLif0R4/edit

I will add to Tiziano's excellent starter list two other essential readings
regarding podcasting:

Cwynar, C. (2017). NPR Music: Remediation, curation, and National Public
Radio in the digital convergence era. *Media, Culture & Society*, *39*(5),
680–696. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443716674362

Morris, J. W., & Patterson, E. (2015). Podcasting and its Apps: Software,
Sound, and the Interfaces of Digital Audio. *Journal of Radio & Audio Media*,
*22*(2), 220–230. https://doi.org/10.1080/19376529.2015.1083374

Finally, for a somewhat early but critical foundational work on the meaning
of podcasting from a socio-cultural standpoint (particularly the
broadcasting vs. podcasting debate), this is important as well:

Sterne, J., Morris, J., Baker, M. B., & Freire, A. M. (2008). The Politics
of Podcasting. *The Fibreculture Journal*, *13*.
http://thirteen.fibreculturejournal.org/fcj-087-the-politics-of-podcasting/

Cheers and good luck on your search,
John