[Air-L] New Book WE THE GAMERS on How Games Teach Ethics & Civics

Kat Schrier Shaenfield kschrier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 08:19:00 PDT 2021

Hello!

I have a new book out this week from Oxford University Press. I am super
thrilled to share it with you and hear what you think about it!

*We the Gamers*: How Games Teach Ethics & Civics

Find out more at:
The *We the Gamers* book website <https://gamesforcivics.com/> (
https://gamesforcivics.com/)
A mega-tweet <https://twitter.com/drgamermom/status/1400126845971009554>
summarizing
the book
An interview
<https://www.edutopia.org/article/games-can-have-powerful-impact-learning> with
me about the book on Edutopia
A sneak-preview of page 99
<http://americareads.blogspot.com/2021/05/pg-99-karen-schriers-we-gamers.html>
of
the book

Here is also a way to buy the book on the OUP website
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/we-the-gamers-9780190926113?cc=us&lang=en&>
(30%
discount: ASFLYQ6)

About the Book

Ethics and civics have always mattered, but perhaps now more than ever
before we realize how *much* they matter.

But how can we teach civics and ethics? How are we already learning this?

My new book, *We the Gamers*, explores *how we connect, communicate,
analyze, and discover* when we play games. Games can be used in ethics,
civics, and social studies education to inspire learning, critical
thinking, and civic change.

*We the Gamers* shares *a range of examples* including board and card
games, online games, virtual reality and augmented reality games, and
digital games like *Minecraft*,* Executive Command*, *Keep Talking and
Nobody Explodes*, *Fortnite*, *When Rivers Were Trails*, *PolitiCraft*,
*Quandary*, and *Animal Crossing: New Horizons*.

*We the Gamers* also explores the obstacles to learning with games and *how
to overcome those obstacles* by encouraging equity and inclusion, care and
compassion, and fairness and justice.

Featuring helpful tips and case studies, *We the Gamers* shows educators
the strengths and limitations of using games in civics education.

*Let’s imagine how we might repair and remake our world through gaming,
together.*

Take care, Kat
Dr. Karen (Kat) Schrier
http://www.karenschrier.com
www.twitter.com/drgamermom

Associate Professor & Director, Games & Emerging Media program, Marist
College
Author, *We the Gamers* <https://gamesforcivics.com/> (Oxford University
Press)
Author, *Knowledge Games