[Air-L] Datafication of Sexuality (CFP) 22 July 2021

Kate O'Riordan K.ORiordan at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 07:15:01 PDT 2021

Datafication of Sexuality

Thursday 22 July 2021

Sussex Humanities Lab

University of Sussex

We invite proposals for a workshop on the Datafication of Sexuality, hosted at the Sussex Humanities Lab and with the FACT/// Network. A hybrid event, it will take place from 1PM to 3PM on Thursday 22 July on Zoom and in the lab. This workshop will feed into a larger research project that examines issues in relation to the datafication of sexuality and algorithmic sexuality.

We welcome participants interested in any aspect of the datafication of sexuality. Workshop topics might address the following questions. What is the history of the datafication of sexuality, sexual publics, and sexual minorities? Which actors collect this data and to what ends? Which tools and techniques have been used to collect, categorise, and visualise this data? We especially welcome proposals that examined how these practices have developed from the 1980s to the present.

Presenters will be asked to contribute a short presentation and engage in discussion and development of ideas. We are interested in building a network and a bid that links to a project that contextualises consumer genomics (e.g., 23andMe) research initiatives pertaining to LGBTQ+ publics within the history of the datafication of sexuality.

If you are interested in presenting, please email Sandra Nelson (Sandra.Nelson at sussex.ac.uk) by Friday 25 June. Thank you.