[Air-L] 'The Social Media Age: Book Launch on June 30th

Zoetanya Sujon zoe.sujon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:41:27 PDT 2021

Dear Aoir colleagues,

You are warmly invited to my book launch for 'The Social Media Age
<https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/the-social-media-age/book259859>', taking
place TOMORROW, with invited speakers: Kylie Jarrett
<https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/people/kylie-jarrett>, Mehita Iqani
<https://www.wits.ac.za/staff/academic-a-z-listing/i/mehitaiqaniwitsacza/>,
Deen
Freelon <http://hussman.unc.edu/directory/faculty/deen-freelon>, and two
graduate guests Prachee Mashru and Sophie Beeching.
June 30th
16:00-17:30 (BST / UTC+1)

Booking here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-social-media-age-book-launch-tickets-159590053145

The book introduces a framework for making sense of social media, pushing
thinking past seamless interfaces and towards social technologies as
infrastructures of everyday life. Understanding social media means asking
questions about society, culture and economy. What we find are complex
tensions between platforms and experience of the social as they shape and
shift social relations with often paradoxical and complex consequences.
Memes and selfies, for example, fit into the rise of datafication and
dataveillance, as well as broader transformations in screen industries,
social movements, intimacies and personal connections. This book introduces
and examines the full scope of social media. It brings together the key
concepts, theories and research necessary for making sense of their
meanings and consequences, both hopefully and critically.

Please come join us!

Take good care,
Zo

--
'You are marvellous. The Gods wait to delight in you.' ('The Laughing
Heart' by Charles Bukowski).