[Air-L] Typologies of robots

fiona andf fiona.andreallo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:17:30 PDT 2021

Hi Christian,
I have published these papers in the area of social robotics with Chris
Chesher (and others as listed) on art, philosphy and scniece of robot face
and eye, as well as sex robots in cultrual threory.
The face paper might be of interest as it categorises faces.
*number 4  is in the final stage of press, but email me if you want a draft
copy. *number 5 is in review and I can send it to you after I ask
co-authors if you also want that one

1.      Robotic Faciality: The Philosophy, Science and Art of Robot Faces

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12369-020-00623-2

*International Journal of Social Robotics*
<https://link.springer.com/journal/12369> *volume** 13*, pages83–96 (2021)

2.      Eye Machines: Robot Eye, Vision and Gaze

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12369-021-00777-7

*International Journal of Social Robotics*
<https://link.springer.com/journal/12369> (2021)

3.      Prosthetic Soul Mates: Sex Robots as Media for Companionship

https://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/view/1588

Andreallo, F., & Chesher, C. (2019). Prosthetic Soul Mates: Sex Robots as
Media for Companionship. *M/C Journal*, *22*(5).
https://doi.org/10.5204/mcj.1588

4.      Sex robots & stereotypes of femininity: Considering Other as key to
human-robot companionship, The international journal of social
robotics,2021, F.Andreallo *in press

5.      *Dance & Robots: How might dance contribute to Human Robot
Interaction studies?,* , International Journal of social robotics, 2021,
N.Abe, K.Maguire-Rosier, F.Andreallo *in review

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM Patrick Williams <subcultures at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Not sure just how relevant this will be, but Yuji Sone recently published a
> chapter, "The Japanese Humanoid Robot and the Authenticity of Artificial
> Identity," in *Studies on the Social Construction of Identity and
> Authenticity
> <
> https://www.routledge.com/Studies-on-the-Social-Construction-of-Identity-and-Authenticity/Williams-Schwarz/p/book/9780367136765
> >*.
> In it, he discusses the cultural backdrop to categorical identifications
> that separate (or blur the boundaries between) humans from robots.
>
> You can try for institutional access through this link:
>
> https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9780429027987-11/japanese-humanoid-robot-authenticity-artificial-identity-yuji-sone
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> patrick.
>

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 4:04 AM Christian Fuchs <christian.fuchs at uti.at>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > does anyone know about publications where there is a typology of robots,
> > i.e. not unjustified lists of types of robots (e.g.
> > https://www.allonrobots.com/types-of-robots/ is not what I am interested
> > in = lists without theory), but a distinction of different types of
> > robots based on a combination of theoretical criteria of distinction
> > presented e.g. in the form of a table or figure with at least two
> > dimensions ?
> >
> > Thank you for sharing any references you might have come across
> > featuring such typologies...
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Christian

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Dr. Fiona Andreallo   PhD, MA, BFA(Hons), Dip.Arts

*Honorary** Research fellow, MECO, University of Sydney*
*Researcher, MARCS Institute, University of Western Sydney*