[Air-L] Typologies of robots - theomorphic robots, anyone?

Charles M. Ess charles.ess at media.uio.no
Tue Jun 15 00:55:13 PDT 2021

Dear Christian, AoIRists, ICT-ists,

In addition to several other excellent suggestions this query has
evoked, let me gingerly suggest this article by Trovato et al., as it
presents a carefully developed taxonomy of theomorphic robots, covering
examples from a strong range of diverse religious traditions (the
Abrahamic religions, Buddhism, and Shinto, among others):

Trovato G, De Saint Chamas L, Nishimura M, Paredes R, Lucho C,
Huerta-Mercado A, Cuellar F (2019) Religion and Robots: Towards the
Synthesis of Two Extremes. Int J of Soc Robotics.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s12369-019-00553-8

I will confess to stumbling over the idea of a "theomorphic" robot more
than once when I first encountered this article, and I'm certain the
highly secular-rational among us will do so as well. Equally certain:
attempting to map the epistemological, ontological, and/or metaphysical
assumptions in play in these worldviews vis-a-vis more secular ones is,
um, an interesting exercise.

But whatever one's personal convictions, etc., may be - for the very
large portions of the world's populations who remain / become
"religious" in one way or another, for better and for worse, these
devices are increasingly important, and hence need to be taken on board,
I think, in our efforts to understand, e.g., what Human-Machine
Communication might mean in these contexts (so the work of Andrew
Guzman, Steve Jones, and many, many others in the HMC world).  They are
obviously also of direct relevance in Digital Religion (e.g., Heidi
Campbell and Pauline Cheong, as a start, who are editing the forthcoming
Oxford Handbook of Digital Religion).

In any event, happy reading and good luck!
- charles ess

On 14/06/2021 22:03, Christian Fuchs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know about publications where there is a typology of robots,
> i.e. not unjustified lists of types of robots (e.g.
> https://www.allonrobots.com/types-of-robots/ is not what I am interested
> in = lists without theory), but a distinction of different types of
> robots based on a combination of theoretical criteria of distinction
> presented e.g. in the form of a table or figure with at least two
> dimensions ?
>
> Thank you for sharing any references you might have come across
> featuring such typologies...
>
> Kind regards
>
> Christian

Professor Emeritus
University of Oslo
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/people/aca/charlees/index.html>

Secretary, IFIP Working Group 9.8, Gender, Diversity, and ICT
<http://ifiptc9.org/9-8/>

Fellow, Siebold-Collegiums Institute for Advanced Studies,
Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Germany

3rd edition of Digital Media Ethics now out:
<http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509533428>