[Air-L] Instances of concealing previous ownership of domain name?

Greenhalgh, Spencer P. spencer.greenhalgh at uky.edu
Tue Mar 16 08:30:03 PDT 2021

Hello internet research friends and colleagues,

As part of an ongoing research project, I've stumbled onto a case where the current owner of a domain appears to have requested that Wayback Machine captures of the domain name under the previous ownership be removed from the Internet Archive—presumably because the new owner doesn't want to be associated with the old owner or to be seen as having purchased the domain from them.

Are any of you aware of cases of this happening? I didn't know that it was even a thing and am trying to get some context for what might be happening here. Self-promotion and tangentially-related resources are more than welcome.

Best,

Spencer

------
Spencer Greenhalgh, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Science
College of Communication and Information
University of Kentucky

pronouns: http://pronoun.is/he/him/his
website: spencergreenhalgh.com
Zoom: https://uky.zoom.us/my/greenhalgh