[Air-L] Case study: digital video ad targeting in U.S. state legislative races

Colin Delany cpd at epolitics.com
Thu Mar 25 12:53:43 PDT 2021

Hi folks, I know that many of you have done work around digital political advertising and data-targeting and the issues involved. I thought you might be interested in what a sophisticated current campaign actually looks like on the ground in the U.S., including the very real limitations practitioners face.

Last fall, I worked on a project in two battleground states in the U.S. that involved targeted video content and targeted digital video advertising in a swath of state legislative races plus a handful of congressional and local races. The Hometown Project and I used district-specific videos featuring actors, comedians and musicians who grew up in the targeted areas, and we reached priority voters via comprehensive digital ad targeting on Facebook and a programmatic video advertising platform.

The project involved targeting from top to bottom, with a last-minute twist because of fundamental limitations in the process. We served 4.6 million ad impressions in total and reached many tens of thousands of U.S. voters. Plus, we got to work with Ernie Hudson, the fourth Ghostbuster! Check it out:

https://www.epolitics.com/2021/03/25/targeted-digital-video-ads-in-state-legislative-races-a-case-study/

I'm happy to chat more if you're interested.

--cpd

"How to Use the Internet to Change the World - and Win Elections: A Comprehensive Guide to Digital Politics for Campaigns, Activists & Advocates" [Ebook]
http://www.epolitics.com/winning

Colin Delany
Epolitics.com -- digital strategy for politics and advocacy
http://www.epolitics.com
202-422-4682
cpd at epolitics.com
@epolitics