[Air-L] incentives

Nishant Shah itsnishant at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 01:30:40 PDT 2021

This is a good question, and in a recent longitudinal study where we wanted
to honor the participants with a 30 Euro equivalent, we were stuck with
this problem. A lot of the big-tech exploitative services that we have
taken for granted in this part of Europe, were either not available or
ethically not acceptable to our 30+ participants.
We then realised that we do not have to dictate where the participants
spend their honorarium.
We created a simple poll. We asked each participant to choose the giftcard
that they would prefer, and hey, it took some extra work, but we did it. It
was amazing that so many of them actually chose to give the gift to
charities in their names, and a couple of them even re-gifted them to their
students or research assistants who had helped with the process. One of
them asked for their mobile phone to have an addon. One of them even got a
subscription for flowers. Let the persons decide instead of tying them to a
platform.
It was more work, but I had an amazingly caring team that was making sure
that we do this extra work in a way that feels fair to everybody.
Hope this helps.
Warmly,
Nishant