[Air-L] CfP: Media Anthropology: (digital) Communication Practices and Processes - IUAES 2021 Yucatan, 9-13/11/2021 (virtual event)

Marie Hermanova marie.hermanova at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:43:37 PDT 2021

Dear all,

we would like to invite you to submit a paper abstract to our panel on
media anthropology at IUAES 2021 Yucatan.

*Media Anthropology: (digital) Communication Practices and Processes *
The term “media” occupies such a crucial space in our lives that human
interactions are increasingly analysed from a “mediated” perspective. Media
forms have been subjected to adulation and censorship simultaneously and
are often spoken in terms of the power they have to shape ideas and
practices. Anthropological thinking and methods have a vital role to play
here, in highlighting the myriad ways in which contemporary worldviews are
shaped by media and vice versa. The panel invites scholars from both media
anthropology and media/communication studies perspectives to a discussion
about theoretical and methodological exchanges between the fields in the
broadest sense.
*Possible contributions can include the following topics:*

   - theoretical and methodological discussions of contemporary
   socio-cultural phenomena that benefit from anthropological approach on an
   epistemological and/or methodological level, analysis of the value of
   ethnographic intent for media/communication studies.
   - ethnography as a method for the study of digital communication and
   platforms; strategies, ethical and methodological challenges,
   methodologically oriented discussion about ethnography as practice in
   media/communication studies.
   - media ethnographies, including digital media - empirical explorations
   of living, experiencing, and performing the self online and in the media,
   uses and reinventions of (digital) media platforms, identity work and
   configurations of cultural subjectivities (audiences, publics, users and
   fans).
   - digital cultural socialities and online lives from emic perspective -
   practices, hierarchies, norms, discourses of digital platforms and
   communities.

*The deadline for abstract submissions (400 words) is 30 June 2021.*
You can submit your abstract here*: *
https://www.iuaes2021yucatan.org/call-for-papers-registration/ and choose
our panel/table in Group 3.

We are looking forward to receiving your proposals,

*Florencia García-Rapp, Marie Hermanova and Haripriya Narasimhan*

--

*Dr Marie Hermanova*

Postdoctoral researcher

Gender & Sociology Department

Institute of Sociology of the Czech Academy of Sciences

Visiting Scholar

Centre for Research in Communication and Culture,

Loughborough University, UK

@MarieHermanova

https://www.soc.cas.cz/en/lide/marie-hermanova