[Air-L] Digital literacies for a healthy democracy - DCMS Committee events - 11+18 June

Carmi, Elinor Elinor.Carmi at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed May 19 06:44:47 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,
I hope you're all keeping well and safe these days.

As part of my Parliamentary Academic Fellowship project - "Digital literacies for a healthy democracy" - with the UK's Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee, I'm organising two events on the future of digital literacies.

The two events - one UK focused and one international focused - will bring together academics, practitioners and policymakers to discuss the current digital literacies landscape and talk about possible future paths.

UK focused event - Friday 11th June at 14:00 (BST time).

  1.  Seyi Akiwowo - Glitch UK.
  2.  Hafsha Dadabhai Shaikh - Get Families Talking.
  3.  Sally Dyson - The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO).
  4.  Professor Simeon Yates - Liverpool University.
Register for this FREE event here -> https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dcms-committee-digital-literacy-event-uk-focus-tickets-151776639013

International focused event - Friday 18th June at 14:00 (BST time).

  1.  Professor Payal Arora - Erasmus University, FemLab.Co and Catalyst Lab.
  2.  Marielza Oliveira - UNESCO.
  3.  Professor Colin Rhinesmith - Simmons University and Community Informatics Lab.
  4.  Professor Marie Gillespie - Open University.

Register for this FREE event here -> https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dcms-committee-digital-literacy-event-international-focus-tickets-151778023153.

The Twitter hashtag for the events is #DCMSComLiteracy.

The discussions are meant to raise important issues around digital literacies in different contexts. The beginning of the panel will start with questions prepared in advance and then the discussion will be open for questions from the audience that will be asked on the Q&A section.

Insights from the event will be included in a final report for the DCMS Committee. If you're an academic, practitioner, activist, educator, or policymaker working in the areas of:

- digital/data literacies
- digital/data inequalities
- digital/data inclusion
- all topics around education

Please join the debate! Your participation and contribution are extremely valuable to this work.

Any questions or comments please feel free to email me.

Take care and best wishes,
Dr. Elinor Carmi,
Postdoc Research Associate - Digital Media & Society,
Department of Communication and Media,
Faculty of the Humanities and Social Sciences,
School of the Arts, Liverpool University, UK.
https://elinorcarmi.com<https://elinorcarmi.com/>
Twitter: @Elinor_Carmi