[Air-L] JOB: Lead Program Manager, Global Advocacy at Wikimedia Foundation

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Nov 17 00:48:13 PST 2021

https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3636842

Lead Program Manager, Global Advocacyat Wikimedia Foundation
Remote

*Summary*

Wikimedia envisions a world where the sum total of human knowledge is
available to everyone.

The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia
Commons, Wikidata, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub
of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating
to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world.
Wikimedia’s fast-growing Global Advocacy team advocates globally for
policies and technologies that enable our movement and its projects to
thrive.

*You are responsible for:*

*We seek a Lead Program Manager to serve as the “chief operating officer”
for the Global Advocacy team.  Reporting to the VP for Global Advocacy
within the Wikimedia Foundation’s Legal Department, our ideal candidate is
a seasoned professional with experience running programs or organizations
at the intersection of technology, human rights, and open knowledge.  You
will help us manage rapid team expansion, drive strategic planning, track
and evaluate impact, support the VP in managing our budget and resources,
and help the team set appropriately ambitious yet realistic goals.  You
will help us improve systems and processes to manage our work with other
teams and departments, improve our coordination of advocacy campaigns with
affiliates and volunteers across our global community, and refine our
approaches to collaborating effectively with external partners. *

   - Design and facilitate the team’s long-term strategic planning as well
   as routine processes for setting, meeting, and reporting on our objectives
   and measuring impact in the world
   - Help the team balance our need to react flexibly and nimbly to
   opportunities, events, and crises in the world, with the need to complete
   long-term projects and meet internal needs for policy counseling and support
   - Facilitate a shared understanding of objectives and key results across
   diverse sets of stakeholders, managing processes, identifying and clearing
   bottlenecks and integrating timely opportunities
   - Streamline, organize, and support reporting and communication flow for
   the VP within the team, across the Legal Department, with other
   departments, and in some circumstances with volunteers and affiliates
   - Streamline, organize, and support the Global Advocacy team in briefing
   leaders across the Legal Department, the executive team and all staff on
   how the entire organization can advance our global advocacy objectives in
   service of a thriving global movement
   - Work with department leaders to provide program planning and
   facilitation, identify and optimize recurring workflows, and coordinate
   cross-departmental efforts led by the Global Advocacy team
   - Coordinate strategic projects as needed, which may include supporting
   high-speed, short-term, multi-stakeholder micro projects as we respond to
   global challenges, events, crises, and opportunities
   - Identify the resources required to meet our objectives and support the
   VP in obtaining C-level support
   - Support budget planning and monitoring
   - Take on projects as new opportunities arise

*Skills and Experience:*

   - Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of experience in program management or
   a Master’s degree with 6+ years related experience, or equivalent work
   experience
   - Prior experience working in or with an organization, program, or
   department focused on public policy and/or advocacy
   - Excellent organizational skills to manage programs, projects, process,
   calendars, and planning activities
   - The ability to drive and organize projects independently with limited
   feedback on a daily basis
   - Strong verbal, written, and social communication skills with attention
   to international diversity
   - Tolerance for ambiguity and facility with managing complex problems
   - The ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment that often
   requires fast turn‐around
   - The ability to thrive in a globally-distributed team and nurture and
   maintain positive, respectful professional relationships
   - Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues
   succeed
   - Flexible mindset and ability to adjust processes to scale or to change
   course
   - Internal motivation and high standards
   - Commitment to the organization's mission
   <https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/mission/#:~:text=The%20mission%20of%20the%20Wikimedia,disseminate%20it%20effectively%20and%20globally.>
   , values <https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/values/>, and guiding
   principles
   <https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_Foundation_Guiding_Principles>
   .
   - Experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana, Trello, or
   other systems)

*Additionally, we’d love it if you have:*

   - Prior experience as a department- or organization-wide program
   manager, and/or chief of staff
   - Experience working with online communities
   - Experience working in an global organization that has a distributed
   workforce and spans multiple timezones
   - PMP or MSP certification
   - Non-profit experience
   - Tech sector experience

About the Wikimedia Foundation

The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates
Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a
world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all
knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute
something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to
access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects,
build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia
content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia
possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free
knowledge to thrive.

The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that
relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals
around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive
donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation
is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San
Francisco, California, USA.

*As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a
diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and
equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of
backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon
their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color,
national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status
as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic
information, or any other legally protected characteristics.*

*If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation
to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you
may contact us at recruiting at wikimedia.org <recruiting at wikimedia.org> or
(415) 839-6885.*

*U.S. Benefits & Perks**

   - *Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: *We cover 100% of premiums for
   medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible
   dependents
   - *Wellness Reimbursement Program*: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for
   reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational
   expenses, and more
   - *Technology and Equipment Stipend*: In addition to receiving a brand
   new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD
   stipend to set up their space for working virtually
   - *Professional Development Program*: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per
   year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences,
   courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
   - *401(k) Retirement Plan*: Employer match of up to 4% of employee
   contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
   - *Paid Time Off: *Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which
   includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave,
   and volunteer days
   - *Flexible Schedules*: Options available to balance your personal and
   remote-work life
   - *Silent Fridays*: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at
   the end of each week
   - *New Parent Leave: *Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus
   an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark
   on your return to work
   - *Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan:* Reimburses staff up to
   5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
   - *Assistance for those unexpected life events: *Long and short term
   disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
   - *Pre-tax Savings Plans:* Generously funded health savings accounts
   (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder
   care, public transportation and parking expenses

**Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer
to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.*

*More information*

*Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>Applicant Privacy
Policy <https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Applicant_privacy_policy>News
from across the Wikimedia movement