[Air-L] CFA: The Social Life of Algorithmic Harms Academic Workshop

Emanuel Moss emoss at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Wed Nov 17 08:47:38 PST 2021

Hello AoIR,

Data & Society is excited to announce our next online workshop's Call for Applications! Please add to your next announcement:

About the Data & Society Academic Workshop

Topic: The Social Life of Algorithmic Harms<https://datasociety.net/announcements/2021/10/28/the-social-life-of-algorithmic-harms/>

Hosts: Data & Society's AI on the Ground Initiative: Emanuel Moss and Jacob Metcalf

When: Thursday, March 10 - Friday, March 11, 2022

Where: NYC and/or online (Note: We will make any adjustments to the proposed hybrid format by December 8th, based on CDC and community recommendations.)

Application Deadline: Monday, November 29, 2021

Learn More/Apply: https://datasociety.net/announcements/2021/10/28/the-social-life-of-algorithmic-harms/

Tweet: https://twitter.com/datasociety/status/1455236352463810564

More information follows. Please contact CJ at events at datasociety.net<mailto:events at datasociety.net> with any questions.

Who should apply? We are interested in work that centers lived experience, brings new disciplinary perspectives to bear on the identification and study of algorithmic harms, develops novel methodological approaches to describing and/or measuring the scope of such harms, and that expands the scope of our understanding of who and what may be harmed by the operation of algorithmic systems.

We'll select drafts of papers, chapters, articles, and data mappings that are~75% complete, and that would benefit from interdisciplinary feedback. In addition to selecting Authors of works-in-progress, we'll select Participants to help workshop these projects. Ample time will be built in for networking and field building too -- something for everyone! Participants will also be offered a $150 stipend, pending eligibility.

When we select Authors, we will ask:

  *   Does the project contribute original or under-recognized narratives about algorithmic impact?
  *   Does the project attend to how difference (race, gender, age, class, caste, location, etc.) plays a role in harms? Does it make global connections? Does it incorporate elements of citational justice or otherwise draw upon a diverse range of relevant prior work?
  *   Does the project incorporate how the design and operation of algorithmic systems has differentiated consequences?
  *   Can the work-in-progress and/or the career of the applicant benefit from feedback and connections made during the workshop?

For both Authors and Participants, we'll ask:

  *   Does the participation roster represent diverse perspectives, disciplines, and areas of expertise drawn from across academia, industry, government, advocacy, and civil society?
  *   Is the applicant well-poised to participate in a conversation that posits a new theoretical vision of and research agenda for algorithmic harms?
  *   Do proposed authors and participants bring a broad range of disciplinary interests, academic development, and social positionings? Do they demonstrate investment in meaningful feedback, opportunities for collaborations, and citational recognition?

Again, applications<https://data-society.typeform.com/to/N3Qek1EC> are due by November 29, 2021, and we're happy to answer any questions you may have via events at datasociety.net<mailto:events at datasociety.net>. Thank you for helping us spread the word<https://datasociety.net/announcements/2021/10/28/the-social-life-of-algorithmic-harms/>.

All best,

Emanuel, on behalf of Jacob and the workshop team