[Air-L] Gloviczki Book Announcement: Mediated Narration in the Digital Age (Nebraska, 2021)

Peter Joseph Gloviczki PhD pgloviczki at coker.edu
Fri Oct 1 03:54:55 PDT 2021

Friends,

I'm delighted to announce that today is publication day for my book *Mediated
Narration in the Digital Age: Storying the Media World*, which appears in
the Frontiers of Narrative Series at University of Nebraska Press. Below is
a bit of information about, and some advance praise, for the book.

If you are able to utilize it in your classes, I would love to come
Zoom or Skype visit with your groups. Post pandemic, I would also love to
visit in person.

Here is the website for the book:
https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/nebraska/9781496217639/

Every good wish, Peter

About the Book

Mediated Narration in the Digital Age examines mediated narration from 1991
through 2018. Peter Joseph Gloviczki considers this pivotal period spanning
the rise of the World Wide Web through the growth of social media to
understand how contemporary media accounts storied everyday life and times
of crisis. He uses examples across media culture to show that complicated
issues benefit from a critical poststructuralist approach to journalism,
which promotes a communitarian ethos of respect, inclusion, and dialogue.
Textual analysis of a wide range of media narratives—from a 2012 YouTube
clip outlining a time line of the Sandy Hook school shootings, to coverage
of then-newly-discovered footage of President Roosevelt in a wheelchair in
2013, to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s 2017 piece “Seven Days of
Heroin”—illustrate how theoretical concepts work in practice while
explaining the new media environment. In response to the lack of awareness
of news as mediated narration, Gloviczki calls for journalists to be aware
of their role in meaning-making and the attendant ethical responsibilities.
He provides the analysis essential to effective practice that emphasizes
the connection between the individual and the community in order to more
fully represent the mediated body.

Praise

“Gloviczki contributes in important ways to the ongoing debate about the
future of journalism, a debate animated by the unprecedented potential for
new media technology to revitalize our thinking about—and our commitment
to—a more humane world.”—Theodore L. Glasser, professor emeritus of
communication at Stanford University

“A compelling, provocative, and highly instructive manifesto for new and
better ways to practice the art of communication, whether the art of
journalism or the art of communication, in everyday life.”—Gerry Philipsen,
professor emeritus of communication at the University of Washington

“Gloviczki’s book—scaffolded by an intricate grid of theories—offers a
personally rooted, poignant, powerful, and accessible exposition of
mediated narration’s cultural dimensions, its essential role in helping
audiences navigate the complex terrains of school violence, ableism, body
politics, drug addiction, and more.”—Radhika Parameswaran, Herman B. Wells
Endowed Professor, The Media School at Indiana University–Bloomington

“Stunning writing, bold, close to the bone: Gloviczki shows us how to show,
not tell.”—Norman K. Denzin, professor emeritus of communications,
Institute of Communications Research, University of Illinois

“In our troubled times we depend on journalism more than ever. But like
many other societal institutions, journalism, too, is challenged to give
voice to the variety of our experiences, to go beyond the flatness of
portrayals, and, cognizant of its power and its constraints, to encourage
society to cherish that narrating differences can unite. Mediated Narration
in the Digital Age is a thoughtful and insightful reminder of that.”—Viktor
Mayer-Schönberger, professor of Internet governance and regulation at the
University of Oxford

“Mediated Narration in the Digital Age provides a prescription for a form
of storytelling better equipped to ethically represent the various
communities that are both journalism’s subjects and its audiences. Both
sobering and hopeful, Mediated Narration in the Digital Age is an important
book designed to bring twenty-first-century journalism ‘more closely into
alignment with the human experience.’”—Michael X. Delli Carpini, Oscar H.
Gandy Professor of Communication and Democracy at the University of
Pennsylvania

Peter Joseph Gloviczki, PhD    he/him/his
Associate Professor of Communication
Coker University
300 East College Avenue
Hartsville, South Carolina 29550
843.383.8379
pgloviczki at coker.edu

Assistant Editor, Journal of Loss and Trauma (Taylor & Francis)
President, Carolinas Communication Association
Past Head, Cultural and Critical Studies Division, Association for
Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)

Scholarly Books:

Mediated Narration in the Digital Age: Storying the Media World
<https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/nebraska/9781496217639/> (University of
Nebraska Press, 2021).

Journalism and Memorialization in the Age of Social Media
<https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9781137465368> (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015)