[Air-L] Virtual event: Platformisation and small nations, 28-29 Oct 2021

Minna Aslama minskiaslama at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 04:37:57 PDT 2021

*Media Platformisation and Small Nations Conference*
*28-29 October 2021*

Register HERE
<https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/media-platformisation-and-small-nations/registration>

You are warmly welcomed to the Media Platformisation and Small Nations
Conference, 28-29 of October 2021, organized by the University of Helsinki
with the research projects EuromediApp <https://euromediapp.org/>, CORDI
<https://cordi.blog/> and MAPS <https://blogs.helsinki.fi/mapsproject/>.

*The virtual part of our conference is open to all and free of charge.* The
registration is the only requirement,  here
<https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/media-platformisation-and-small-nations/registration>.
Registration is open until 22.10.2021.

We will start our conference with the keynote of Steven Livingston,
Professor & Founding Director of the Institute for Data, Democracy, and
Politics at George Washington University. Prof.Livingston will be
discussing *Deplatforming the Far-Right: Alt-Tech and the Possible Ironic
Outcome of Mainstream Content Moderation*. In this talk, Prof. Livingston
will describe recent research he and his colleagues have done on
deplatformed user accounts and their migration to Gab and other “alt-tech”
platforms. Prof. Livingston raises a key question: Does deplatforming
create an incentive for the further development of alt tech platforms?
Secondly, do users suspended from mainstream platforms, once migrated to
alt tech platforms, constitute an even greater risk to liberal democracy?
Does platform moderation on mainstream platforms have the ironic effect of
concentrating the presence and ideological fervor of illiberal ideologies?

The second day features a panel* Perspectives to Media Platformisation and
Small Nations* with Prof. Terry Flew, University of Sydney (opening
remarks), Prof. Anja Bechmann, Aarhus University; Prof. Marko
Milosavljevic, University of Ljubljana; and Prof. Natali Helberger,
University of Amsterdam

You can find out more about our other keynote speakers and the program in
general by visiting our website
<https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/media-platformisation-and-small-nations>
.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch:
irina.grigor at helsinki.fi.

We look forward to having you at the event!

Irina Grigor
on behalf of the Conference Organizing Team

--
Dr. Minna Aslama Horowitz
@aslama