[Air-L] #AoIR2021 Student Paper Award

Michelle, Association of Internet Researchers ac at aoir.org
Fri Oct 8 04:33:47 PDT 2021

We are happy to recognize Nomy Bitman for the #AoIR2021 Virtual Conference
Student Paper Award. Her paper, “Rethinking Visibility, Personalization and
Representation: Disability Activism in Social Media,” was reviewed amongst
the 75 accepted student papers and is regarded the most outstanding paper
of those submissions for this year.

Specifically, we selected this paper because of its focus on the
decision-making thought processes of disability social media activists who
have concealable communicative disabilities. Through 31 in-depth interviews
with people in this community, Nomy’s paper identified stages of activist
performance of disabled identity while further revealing ableist
assumptions behind forms of social media activism. We thought Nomy’s paper
was methodologically rigorous, comprehensive and engaging with respect to
the existing literature, and attentive to the voices of these marginalized
communities.

You will be able to hear Nomy’s paper presentation in Playlist 8: Digital
Activism and Resistance #1 here <https://members.aoir.org/AoIR2021Playlists>
(member log in required) and meet her virtually during the conference.

We would also like to recognize, Katherine (Katie) Mackinnon’s paper,
“Critical Care and the Early Web: Ethical Digital Methods for Archive Youth
Data” with an Honorable Mention. You can find Katie’s presentation in
Playlist 34: Research ethics here
<https://members.aoir.org/AoIR2021Playlists> (member log in required).

We look forward to some great conversations with these two scholars during
AoIR2021 <https://aoir.org/aoir2021confinfo/> next week!