[Air-L] New Book: Profit Over Privacy: How Surveillance Advertising Conquered the Internet

Matt Crain mattcrain1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 12:33:48 PDT 2021

Hello colleagues,

I hope my new book may be of interest to some on this list.

Profit Over Privacy: How Surveillance Advertising Conquered the Internet
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/profit-over-privacy>

“Profit over Privacy gives internet surveillance a much-needed origin story
by chronicling the development of its most important historical catalyst:
web advertising. The first institutional and political history of internet
advertising, it uses the 1990s as its backdrop to show how the massive
data-collection infrastructure that undergirds the internet today is the
result of twenty-five years of technical and political economic
engineering.”

You can read the introduction
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/images/other-images/crain_intro.pdf>
on the publisher site and use code MN88430 for a 40% discount. Please do
not hesitate to reach out to me with any feedback. Thank you!

Matt Crain
Miami University
crainm at miamioh.edu
@mediated1